Monday 5 June 2017

A Trip To The Past - Revisiting An Old Blog Post

I actually have another blog which I published many years back. I started it way back in 2007 actually. It was a financial blog on wealth creation. I didn't promote that blog and it died a natural death as a result. It became more like a journal as I could be the only 1 reading it. Some of the stuff that I wrote on the blog should still apply today I think. I hope so.

Note: The funds mentioned in this Post are just what I had purchased previously and do not constitute any buy or sell recommendations.

I will show 1 of the Post that was written back in Sep 2010. The title was ...

My recent account Statement

The Post which I wrote years back

Basically, there's nothing wrong with the content. The problem was with the way I invested in Unit Trusts. I had a few funds that are focused on the same Singapore Market. I should just invest in 1 local market fund which had the best performance track record. I was also buying new funds which did not have any track record but seemed hype.

In my Post, I mentioned I bought 3 funds when I first started. The table below shows the 3 funds which I invested in. The countries/areas where the funds invested in were considered hype and having huge potential at that time.


Let's see how they performed over the next 10 year period from 2007 - 2017.

Screenshot from Fundsupermart.com

The overall performance of the funds are not exactly that spectacular. They do perform better than STI index though.


I did not hold the funds for long though. I sold them the following year. During my early investing years, I was also engaged in frequent buying and selling. The sales charge was 1.5% of my transaction amount during that time. Ouch!




For my Unit Trust investments, I am currently focused in only 2 equity funds. Each fund is already holding a portfolio of stocks. There's really no point in over diversification. I have also stopped buying single country funds which is risky as the country may suffer from economic downturn that could drag the whole portfolio down. No more hype investing as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment